Volunteers are imperative to the success of the Children’s Museum of Oak Ridge. We celebrate our current volunteers and encourage you to come and join our volunteer teams!
Receptionists work at the museum’s front desk. They are the friendly face of the museum to all of our visitors.
A receptionist’s duties include:
– Answering the phone and routing phone calls
– Greeting visitors
– Booking tours
– Signing up students for classes
– Receiving admission fees
– Keeping track of attendance
– Helping staff with special jobs that can be done at the front desk
– Assisting with mailings
– Selling gift shop items
– During the year, display trunk items while teaching about exhibits and do arts/crafts with visitors.
– Work during summer camps as an assistant
– Teach Preschool themes throughout the year on Wednesday mornings from 10am-noon
– On Musical Thursday Mornings, teach rhythm, play instruments or sing songs with
Preschoolers from 10am-noon
– Help with themed programing throughout the year: New Year’s, MLK Day, spring, fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and
The exhibit team is a group of skilled volunteer staff who work on building new exhibits designed by museum exhibit designers and maintaining existing ones under the direction of staff.
SPECIAL EVENTS TEAM
The special events team assists staff with festivals and other special events such as the museum’s annual fundraising gala and the international fest.
CLERICAL ASSISTANCE TEAM
Clerical assistants are often needed for special jobs or on a regular basis to assist staff with the abundance of work that goes on behind the scenes.
MAINTENANCE / REPAIR TEAM
Maintenance volunteers are always needed to help clean and maintain the museum’s 54,000 square feet of space and the surrounding grounds. Skilled workers are also needed on a regular basis to make needed repairs and improvements.
Summer Youth Volunteers (13-18)
-work behind the scenes preparing crafts for events
– cleaning exhibits
– assisting in summer camps
– preparing educational trunks
How to Volunteer at the Children’s Museum
Call the Museum to make an appointment with the Museum’s Volunteer Coordinator, Lorraine Bowen, at 865.482.1074. She will set up an interview to discuss your interests, skills, and time commitment and to fill out an application. Volunteer jobs are listed above but special skills or interests not mentioned are welcomed.
Please download and complete this form before your interview.
2016 Summer Camp Volunteer Calendar available here.
Meet Thomas Colburn
Thomas has been a volunteer at CMOR since 2011, helping in the Exhibits Department. He has helped with a variety of projects including our Nature Walk, Puppet Room and Bird Room exhibits. When CMOR received a donation of a taxidermy elk head mount, Thomas knew the perfect place in the Museum for it to be displayed, the Native American exhibit! Thomas, a recent graduate of Oak Ridge High School, is headed to college and while we are very proud of him he will be missed!